I’ve been wanting to replace my duvet cover for forever. But I put it off, trying to figure out the easiest way to make one. Then, a few weeks ago, we stayed in a hotel and our bed’s duvet cover was nothing more than a giant pillow case, which I
hoped knew I could totally replicate. 🙂
So here’s what I did. (Disclaimer! I do not consider this a tutorial, more like a guide. I made up so much as I went that I’m sure I left plenty of things out. But, believe me, if I can do this, you can, too! Email me if you you have any questions and I’ll try to help!)
I wanted it to look kind of quiltish, so I used blocks to make the top.
I used one patterned fabric and white for my blocks. I chose Morning Glory by Amy Butler from her Lotus collection for my patterned fabric and an old sheet for the white. I put a strip around the edges to give it a little kick and used Full Moon Polka Dot Cherry, also from Butler’s Lotus collection.
To Make The Top:
I measured my duvet and needed my cover to be 98″ x 106.”
I cut twenty-one 14.5 blocks from my patterned fabric and twenty-one 14.5 inch blocks from my white sheet.
(I wanted the blocks to be 14 inches when sewn, so I added a .5 inch to allow for seam allowances. This means I used a 1/4 seam allowance for my blocks.)
I sewed them into strips.
Then I sewed the strips together, just as if I was making a quilt top.
Next I made strips to go around the edges.
I made 2 strips 6″ x 109″ to go around the sides.
And I made 2 strips 7″ x 99″ to go around the top and bottom.
(I added an extra inch to each measurement to allow for seam allowances. When sewn I needed my strips to measure 5″ x 108 and 6″ x 98.” This means I used a 1/2 seam allowance for my strips.)
I left all the strips’ edges raw except for the edge that would be at the top of the duvet cover. I hemmed the strip that went around the top edge because it would become the top of the duvet cover. (meaning you can see it!)
(I’m sorry there aren’t any pictures of this next part, I totally forgot to take some, but I think it’s pretty easy to understand from reading. Email me if you have a question, and I’ll do my best to give you a good answer!)
Then I added a lining. I used an inexpensive muslin that I bought at Joannes. It comes in all different sizes and I bought the 108″ width, which was perfect.
I totally cheated on the lining insertion, I doubt any professional would insert the duvet lining like I did, but it worked! (I tried to find a tutorial online but couldn’t find anything that worked for me so I just made it up as I went.)
Here’s what I did. I laid the duvet cover, right side up, on the floor. Then I laid the lining on top of it. I smoothed it out and then pinned the duvet top and lining together, basically doing the same thing as when I baste a quilt.
After I got them pinned, I sewed around all 4 sides, leaving a 5 inch hole, (see below) backstitching when I started and stopped to secure.
About the 5 inch hole. You have to leave a hole because this is how you turn your duvet cover right side out. You put your hand inside the hole and slowly pull the fabric out through it. Be patient and don’t try to go too fast or you could rip the hole. When you’re done, your duvet cover will be right side out.
When you’re done, your duvet cover will be right side out, but you’ll still have your hole. You can use an invisible stitch to close the hole and no one will ever know there was a hole there, or you can be lazy like me and just sew it shut. (After I added the back, you can hardly see that part anyway.)
If you noticed in one of the above pictures, you saw that my lining was a couple of inches larger (on all 4 sides) than my top. After I sewed them together I trimmed the lining to make it even with the duvet cover. (Like I said before…. I totally made this up as I went, I’m sure there’s a better way, but it worked!)
Now for the back. I used my old white duvet cover for my fabric. I just cut in into 2 big pieces and used one of them. The only thing I really did to it was hem the top edge. (The one that wouldn’t be sewn shut and the one you can see.)
Here’s a picture of my backing’s hem, although it’s kind of hard to see.
Then I laid them on the floor, placed right sides together, and pinned. Next I sewed around the sides and bottom of the cover, backstitching when I started and stopped. I left the top open just like a gigantic pillow case.
I turned it right side out and was done! And then I
pulled and tugged slipped my duvet right in.
Here’s what I mean by a giant pillow case. This isn’t the best picture but I wanted to give you some idea of what I meant by a giant pillow case. See? The duvet’s like to the pillow and the cover’s just like the pillow case. Easy!
Now…..to be totally honest, I’m not in love with it. I like it, but not as much as I thought I would. But, I am glad I did it, I learned a lot and will definitely make another one, even if it is a bit frustrating of a project.
If I had to do it over again I would make bigger blocks. I just think it would look better. I found my original plans I sketched out and I had planned to make 18 inch blocks. I have no idea why I ended up making them 14 inches.
I’ll definitely continue to make my own duvet covers from now on, even if it is kind of frustrating to make one. (It’s just hard working with those huge piece of fabric.) I really wouldn’t call it a fun project, but it was a very satisfying project. Particularly since I was able to use so much that I already had on hand. (The white sheet, my old duvet cover, I even had some of the Amy Butler fabric, which is one of the reasons why I chose it.)
And if you were wondering, (not that you were! ha!) here’s how I made the bed skirt.
I’m linking up at: Too Cute Tuesday @ The Funky Polka Dot Giraffe, Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife, Tuesday Time Out @ Reasons to Skip the Housework, Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative and Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts.