I made myself a new duvet cover (post coming up soon!) and needed a new bed skirt because the old one didn’t work, at all.
I wanted white and I didn’t want to spend much money, so I ended up going with duck fabric. I had never worked with it before, but, I loved it. It was so easy to maneuver. I might just have to try out some slipcovers if I get a little braver!
In case you were wondering, duck fabric is pretty much the same thing as canvas, although the kind I bought is very lightweight. You can find it almost anywhere…. Hancocks, Joannes, Wal*Mart, etc. People use it to make slipcovers.
This is how I made my bed skirt, it was so easy, however, you will never see this in a Pottery Barn catalogue. 🙂
First I measured the length of our bed (78″) and multiplied it by 2, because the bed has 2 sides, obviously. 🙂 Then I measured the foot (74″) of the bed.
I added 7 inches to each measurement to allow for hems and so that I could make a pleat in the middle of each piece.
My fabric requirements ended up being:
78 x 2 = 156 + 14 = 170 (I needed 85″ for each side)
74 + 7 = 81 (and 81″ for the foot of my bed.)
Then I measured four inches from the edge of the box springs to the floor to see how wide I needed each piece to be.
It ended up that I needed each piece to be 20″ wide. (That’s the measurement from my starting point to the floor.)
I bought 2.5 yards of duck fabric (I found some that was right at 60″) and cut each piece 20 inches wide.
To make it as even as possible, I took my quilt ruler and measured 20 inches from the edge of the fabric to 20 inch mark and made a small dot. I didn’t care if you could see the dots because they’re going to be hidden by my mattress.
And then I just cut along the dotted line. I made three strips, and hemmed three sides of each strip. (I hemmed what you can see, the bottom and the 2 sides. I didn’t hem the top, because that will be hidden by the mattress.)
I hemmed the edges by folding the edge over 1/2 inch and ironing it down.
Then I folded the same end over another half inch and ironed it down again.
Then I pinned it. If you use duck fabric, or any thicker fabric for that matter, it’s not going to be super easy to pin. I was kind of lazy and just pinned as much as absolutely necessary.
After I sewed the hems, I used safety pins to attach it to the box springs.
This was actually the hardest part of the whole project. My thumb is still sore. It’s hard because you can’t get up under the fabric on the box springs so you really have to play with it to get it to work. I’d recommend wearing a thimble, too. I didn’t because I couldn’t find mine, but I think it might have made it a little easier.
I started at one end of the bed and worked my way down to the middle where I put a pleat. (That’s why I told you to add extra inches to your measurements.)
Just find where you want your pleat, (I wanted mine in the middle) and fold the fabric over.
Then lay it flat and smooth it out.
Then pin it.
And there you have it. My super easy, super cheap bed skirt. (And since I’m linking up at the Under $100 Link Party, this bed skirt cost about $20 to make.)