I was going through my fabric the other day, trying to decide what to keep and what to get rid of, when I came across 2 Moda Honey Buns that I had completely forgotten I’d bought. I think I bought them a couple of years ago because they was on sale.
So I’ve decided to use them to make another quilt. I thought it might be interesting to blog about the entire process and document my thoughts along the way rather than just blog my fabric choice and then my finished quilt, so I’m going to start at the beginning. Since my fabric dictates my pattern, not the other way around, I’m more limited than normal as to the type of quilt I’ll make. I’m also looking for something super simple, since I have a lot going on right now, so that’s also affecting what I’ll make.
I want to be able to buy twin batting (to save a little money) so I’d like my finished quilt to be about 80″ x 60″. I sketched out a (very) rough diagram of how I think I want my quilt to look.
I’m going to use the strips as they are, just cutting them to make them shorter. Each strip is about 45″ long and about 1.5″ wide. So, allowing for my seam allowance, each strip is going to end up being 1″ wide after I sew it into blocks.
To keep it simple, I’m going to make 10″ blocks. That means each block will be 10 strips wide and each strip will be 10″ long. I’ll need to cut them 10.5 inches long to allow for the seam allowances when I sew the blocks all together.
I’m a little worried that the quilt might be too busy, but I’ll decide that after I make a couple of blocks. If it doesn’t work I have another idea in mind.
And I’ll need to make 48 blocks.
So that’s my plan. We’ll see what happens.
I’ll be back with two or three completed blocks and then decide if I’m going to go with this pattern or switch it up and do another.